Travel Day: Detroit to Bloomington, IN



Logged a serious day in the HQ yesterday: about 7 hours. It was so windy that in order to do what I most wanted to do, which was get out of Detroit, I had to take the bike off of the rack. I did not think it would survive on top and I was not going to drive 45 miles an hour to Bloomington.

So now I know everything fits in the car. Still glad I got the rack though, because its much easier to load up. And I got blown all over the road the entire day, which actually sounds more exciting then it was.

For lunch I just got off of the highway and drove past all the fast food joints an found a liquor store. I went in there and asked where I should get some lunch. They sent me to Gangsters Grille in Hudson, Indiana. Which was the state I was already in, much to my surprise.


After parking, which was a huge chore (not really) I got accosted by the only person around in Hudson, IN. Little kid who wanted to know "where do you get a car like that?", and also, for some reason, if I was a cop. I told him I wasn't and he told me his mom was already in jail. He asked me for money for some Mountain Dew, and I gave it to him.

I was the only one in the restaurant to begin with. This is a lonely, lonely town. Maybe a block long. And on that block the only things are a post office and Gangsters Grille. I had a BLT on white toast with extra bacon. And with my check I got a little square of homemade peanut butter fudge, which made me want to kiss someone.

Turns out the place used to be a bank, and it was robbed by Dillinger and his gang back in the 30's. The owner of the place still stores her cash envelopes in that same safe. There are still cracks in the glass above the front door from ricochetting bullets. Yeah, no shit.

From there I stopped by Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which you should probably see when it is open if you decide to ever go. Not. That. Exciting. But again, I had to. You can't just drive past these things.

And finally here, in Bloomington Indiana.

Take the ride with me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...