Driving to Kentucky like i need a bourbon fix


Right by the Long Hole Quarry.
Location: Bloomington, IN to Lexington, KY

Bloomington was incredible. Because (1) I ended up there by accident and (2) "Texas Road House" despite being an upscale chain actually has some kickass steak and cool waitresses who look like my ex-GF and will let me take their picture while giving me the finger (3) front-desk girls at my hotel who rock, and (4) it was the setting of "Breaking Away".
Anon waitress. 

I stayed at the Marriot Fairfield only about 10 minutes from the campus of Indiana University. When I arrived, in the lobby was one drunk dude and his one drunk redheaded girlfriend who laughed at one of my jokes like the father in Family Guy. I couldn’t stop imitating her all night. To myself.

After the ride day, I woke and hung in the lobby for a bit and decided Lexington, Ky would be my next stop. About 20 miles into it, I saw a sign for he "Monroe Reservoir" and I thought to myself that a reservoir is very much like a quarry in that still water exists in both, and perhaps I could find the quarry from the opening scene of the movie I have already mentioned a million times.

One guy knows her. It's science. 
 So I drove towards it and stopped a lady in a Jeep and asked her if she could help. She had lived there all her life and though she had not been there,  she sent me to Fairfax Rd and said it was by an old school.

So I drove to Fairfax Rd and there was a park. So I asked the guy collecting money to get into the park if he knew about an old school somewhere nearby. I told him I was a journalist. He pointed me the opposite direction and said "maybe four miles." After about 8 miles, I came upon the old school, which is now a business called "ITech" or something similar.

The Breaking Away pose
 I parked, walked in, and there were two ladies there. I do not think that they have guests often. I told them what I was up to, and please not to tow my car, and they gave me the green light to go explore. It took me 30 minutes to find it and only about 10 to get back. You make a lot of mistakes when you have no idea what you are looking for. But the pictures tell you all.

You can see all the pictures from this day here. It's worth it. I think.

Now, take a ride with me from Bloomington to Lexington, since it was a travel day, and I was feeling good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...