This Steak Don't Need No Sauce.


Marfa and my blue home. 
(11.29.11) Del Rio to Marfa, Texas
Travel Day: 239 Miles
Photos: here
Video: here

Yeah, it took me some time to get this entry going, mostly because Marfa does not place a great deal of import on the internet, social media, or news, or really much of anything that opens a window to the greater goings on of the world.

Therefore, eh, maybe the wireless works, eh, maybe it don't.


Peco River
Which is refreshing, unless you are in the mood to share, and I've been in the mood to share...this tree makes no noise thrashing about in an empty forest.

The drive was great. For the most part, there ain't a damn soul around. And those that are, well they have seen a million of me. On the highway are ranchers, RV's, cross country bikers, and traveling motorcyclists. I averaged 110MPH for solid hour. That's no shit.

It is so magical and slow and silent and devoid of life that when you come here, you still feel as though you are discovering something that no one has seen before.

Marfa has a population of 2101. That's slightly larger than my high school. And I know there are people here, and I see the cars parked, and I see the houses, but where the hell is everyone?

And I'll tell you right where they all are; in their homes or on their ranches avoiding people like me. You come here because the world has no place for you, and maybe you might be better off not watching the TV or on the internet or caring about how much the market is up or down or any of that shit. People just come here to be, and let be.

ElCosmico at night. Only one
staying here at the moment.
And it occurs to me why the directors of "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will be Blood" choose not to have a soundtrack of any significance: because this place is so raw and powerful that to dress it up all fancy would be insulting of it's very nature.

You don't put A-1 sauce on a perfect cut of meat.

I'll upload some more pictures of the town tomorrow. But for now, take that ride with me....




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...