If you love her, pump her up.



Date: 12.26.11
Location: Monterey, CA

Before I left on this trip I read a bunch of blogs about other people doing some cool things and biking across the world to raise money for whatever or walking across Africa to solve the human condition and I thought I was a little selfish to just be driving and biking for my own sweet pleasure.

I thought maybe I needed a purpose or people would just think I was mucking about all selfish-like and the truth is I discovered that I can do quite a bit of good by just wandering around and bumping into shit. I haven't raised any money for anything I care about, but I think I've done enough to satisfy my need to "be the change you want to see in the world."

I'm just spreading some happiness, at the very least, with no intent or grand plan on how to go about it. When I picked up the derailleur hanger today from the Wilier dealer I felt a great sense of "fuck yeah."

And lately, the world has called upon me to be a bit of a superhero for cyclists. I just stumble about and where there is a cyclist in need, I'll be there. Like yesterday, when Randi and her friend had a flat outside of Point Reyes, CA, and no one had stopped to help. Not even the other countless cyclists who happily pedaled by and screwed their own karma.

For sure, I didn't do much besides make sure the tire was beaded correctly and pump it up to the proper flavor, but it was enough to bring us all together and smile and hug and take some pictures. And I'm always amused at the initial reaction to me pulling up and stopping, because the car itself kind of resembles a superhero car. Like a meteor out of nowhere; I appear, I fix, I move on.

And today, again, I stop to give a lift to a mountain biker who was cooked (bonked, had enough, done, sleepy) so he can get back to his car, go back and get his buddy where I found them, and get home to some leftovers.

So, thats me at the moment; DistressedCyclistMan. Hoping to bump into the invisible woman in the hot tub in a few minutes here....

And take an awesome ride with me though the California Redwoods and see the guy I picked up...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...