Sonoma pulls up its pants and holds me.


Spotted in Sonoma.
Even the most beautiful women in the world can look a little rough in the morning. And now I'm sure that the other day I caught Sonoma hungover, tired, and still in it's pajamas.

But in the span of 12 hours everything changed. All of it. It presented me with the nicest christmas gift I could have asked for; a make-up session with the bike shop (see 12.22 post).

After I posted the entry, I wrote an email to Jake, the owner, with a link to it. I just thought he would like to know. Eh, maybe I was still seeing red and I wanted to vent.

But the rest is pretty amazing, and I think, a pretty cool little Christmas story.

These emails take place over the last two days. Keep in mind this guy is still trying to pave over this pothole on christmas eve!

From Jake (owner of St. Helena Cyclery): Wow, this deserves a double take…..I don’t know what to say except Wow. I’m truly sorry for this. You’re right that no one should feel this way when leaving my shop and I’m very sorry for your experience. Sorry again. Is there a way to push a reset button and start over? As you can tell, this is stewing inside of me. Feel pretty bad about it. 


Me: All is good man, no reset or make up session needed, but I appreciate the offer. Everyone has a bad day and I think everyone was having one yesterday. I dont have the option of fixing things myself and I was just a little taken aback. I imagine those guys deal with a pretty demanding crowd in this area, but all I needed was a friendly leg-up, and a new hanger. Derailleur is still only attached by the skewer. Don’t stew. You're obviously shocked by this, so it can't be the norm. 


Jake: It is absolutely not the norm! Interestingly enough, I did NOT tell the staff this morning about your email but I gathered them all around and reminded them that though we are stressed trying to get things done for demanding people – that is our job, to make dreams a reality, and not to lose sight of that….and we have to help them with that-after all it’s CHRISTMAS!!! 

So after I’m done setting the tone, I ask Dennis (the guy who you dealt with) if he has anything to add. He says “well, lets get that Wilier ready to take apart because we might need to pull the derailleur hanger for that customer who was in yesterday. He’s on a bike trip and we need to get him taken care of.” 


I still didn’t say anything, but couldn’t help but shake my head at the obvious contrast to the message/reception he gave you! ATTITUDE ATTITUDE!!!!

Let me know if there is any way I can get this hanger to you……no charge… 

Me: Wow. That was an awesome email. The part I love the most is that Dennis probably realized way after the fact that "hey, I think I gave that guy a rough time today", and set to correct it. That elates me. I'm glad you didn't say anything to them about the email. I love how random shit like this always has a positive effect, sometime, somehow. 



Maybe because of my experience, all your customers today will have an ABOVE average visit. And that's enough for me. Don't worry about the hanger. I'm headed south tomorrow and I'm staying in Glen Ellen, but I sure do appreciate the offer. You're a good guy Jake. 


Jake: Problem with your blog/gps tracker is that I know you are close……Its says Yountville. Come on – let me put this hanger on for you. I'm really trying. Let me make this up to you. 


Me: I don’t have the bike with me and I’m staying in Glen Ellen and headed out tomorrow. I love how dedicated you are to putting Humpty back together though! This is all good stuff. You’re obviously looking for some closure, which I will provide in my blog.


Jake: If closure means that you get your problem taken care of, and have a different taste in your mouth about our beautiful Napa Valley – then yes – I need closure. 


Me: Well, I can't possibly leave this open-ended. If you do feel the urge, I would love to locate a hanger in San Francisco. I'll be there on the 26th. Perhaps you know someone. 


Jake: I’ll shoot off an email to the Wilier rep.


Harry (the West Coast Wilier rep): Gibbs/Jake, I have one. I will be out of the house most of the day on Monday, but I can leave on front porch. Just let me know and have a merry Christmas. 


Jake: Full Circle, the Universe works in mysterious ways if you let it. And that hanger is on me. 


Me: Pardon my French, but that was a fucking awesome chain of events. Best to you Jake. And thanks again. Merry Christmas.

Yeah, no shit. You feel that warm feeling too?

Merry Christmas everyone. And thanks for all the great support on this amazing journey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...