I never got so low

a model and a puppy. no relevance
to the story. 
Date : 12.19.11
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Travel Day: Vegas through Death Valley
Pictures: here
Video: here

So I'm in Ridgecrest, CA, which is about 80 miles south of Death Valley. The in-hotel magazine says that it's a "great little town to get off by yourself." Which I think is pretty ballsy of them to come right out and admit.

I was frickin starving, as I am at the end of most travel days, so I'm enjoying some fine steak and beans from Denny's. It's actually not bad but I'm not actually chewing it either.

Today was all drive, pictures, drive, pictures day. And I don't know how they manage to do it, but the Japanese really are everywhere besides just Japan.

To get into Death Valley, and to the lowest point in the western hemisphere, you descend a mountain pass from about 5,000ft and then it's not really tough because there are only a few roads, one that leads to Badwater (-285ft below sea level) and one that leads to the dunes. And then after that, there is one road leading back out to the west, over a gigantic ridge and back down into another valley.

Or go out the way you came. Or go north, and north is cold, and I have had enough of that.

It was a sunny day, so the views were perfect and also, quite cluttered with other people. I cant imagine what it would be like to come here in high-season, must be a train wreck.

I can tell you that Death Valley was really incredible and it's worth the visit if you ever find yourself with nothing to do in Central East California. Which, if you are in Central East California, the odds are that you are already in Death Valley.

However, the coolest part was the 70 mile drive from there to here, on a lonely desert road, with no lights, and virtually no other cars.

I can't even wrap my head around what it must have been like to come across this part of the country on horseback and crest that ridge of the Grand Canyon, or peer down into Death Valley. I have this image of two cowboys and one turning to the other and saying "god-DAMN-it, Larry! What was wrong with Austin again?"

There must have been a lot of "what the fuck?" going on. Because you still say that to yourself when you see stuff like this.

You kinda of look around to see if anyone else is seeing what your seeing and your mind is saying "are you getting this man?" Doesn't matter how many pictures you've seen of these places or how many IMAX movies you've sat through, you won't get that moment.

-285FT below sea level
Anywhere else in the US today and I would have been almost 300ft underwater. And I thought of that as I stood there thinking; there are a ton of fish on my level right now.

Still, the best part was the night drive. I had opportunities to get gas but I figured I'd be ok. I didn't count on the mountains I still had to climb to get to my hotel. When I did get to Ridgecrest, my car told me I only had 15 miles worth of gas left. Just as I planned.

And now, a video, and a few more pics to follow. For all the pics, go back to the top of the post.










Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...