Hey, roll that window up, I dont want this flying out.


Marfa sunset...
Location: Pecos, Texas
Travel Day: Marfa to See Above
Photos: here
Video: here

Crap. I can't believe that as incredible as Marfa was, and is, and will be, that I appeared to say nothing of Marfa in particular. And I don't think I'm doing the town a disservice by saying that there isn't much to say about it, but that there is a ton to say with/in regards to it.

Let's just say that some places, and some minutes, have a particular bouquet to them that sticks.

Marfa sunrise....
The memories that have embedded themselves right up in front of the mental bank are the ones I never gave permission.  They just parked themselves, and Marfa is sans-valet. Why are they still up there, and why so accessible?

Like the way the chestnut-haired girl smelled my freshmen year of college, the one that lived on the bottom floor only one door past the drinking fountain on the left? Like the chill on my sweaty skin on a hot night in Thailand when the oscillating fan hit me straight on?

Here's the chewy center: In 1999 I was traveling from CA to PA and I made a stop in Montana to visit an childhood friend. His name is David. Nothing special happened really, we just went fishing.

But I remember that my jeans fit me too tightly and I remember what his dogs smelled like when they nosed me awake in the morning. If you dropped me in Bozeman right now, I could guide you to where he lived and I could tell you that the back door probably still doesn't open all the way. The color of the boat was green and chrome. I remember the icy, clean water dripping from the mouth of the fish while I held it for a picture.

I have five seconds of me walking along the river behind David and his friend. That's all I have of that, but I have that crunch of my boots almost perfectly.

I have the moment right before we got into the boat and David turned to me and said "this is my office" and that the sun was shining on the mountain ridge right behind his dark hair.

SW Texas in general....
I drank a Moose Drool beer that night. Many of them, in fact. I never drank one again, but it's up there in the bank. And that steak, and the way David laughed, and we drove home drunk, and I slept on the couch, and I was a bit cold but that the blanket was heavy and wool, and that I left hungover.

The days are not long enough for me right now. Today I saw a thousand beautiful things, maybe more. I shared hundreds of words. Who knows what will still be around in ten years? I realize that's not up to me.

What I intend to remember, I hardly ever do.

And since I was feeling reflective, I did a redux that only took me like, two minutes (8 hours) to make. No biggie..............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...