Melting in Mildura


Location: Mildura, Australia  Ride: here

It's only 8:15PM but my eyes are struggling. Today was scorchingly hot, and it drained me. I'm watching the black doves on the balcony next to me, who are watching the sunset and cleaning themselves. I drove 6 hours yesterday from Wagga to here. I went a little too far into the bush in my shorts and sneakers and thought I may have been bitten by something.

I spent the next half hour in the car wondering if my heart thumping was due some spider venom making it's way to my core, or from the five coffees I had. I think the coffee trade is behind Australia's deep fascination with drowsy driving. Then there are the camera's every 100K or so, to take a picture of you, so that someone somewhere can determine if you are too sleepy to be driving. I shit you not.



Murray River. (The Rive Murray)
My ride in Wagga was uneventful but I needed to do it since I think I have gained around 10lbs in the last three months, and I'm feeling it. It's not just all the meals out, it's the lack of miles (300 this month vs. a normal 700) and admittedly, my taste for beer and cheeseburgers.

I have a hard time writing under two circumstances; (1) when I feel I have nothing to say and (2) when there is too much. At the moment, number 2 and I are having a go at it.

Australia is so beautiful to me. Many might find it too barren, too stark, but I find it exhilarating. It's not unlike what I think the US looked like before all of the six lane highways and billboards and filth. The main road, the only road between Mildura and Adelaide, which I drove today, was 260 miles long, one lane each way, no police, no aggressive driving, just beautiful wine fields and the Murray River and one fruit fly inspection stop.

The country has such variety; ranging from the dry orange outback you've undoubtedly seen as characteristic of the countryside, but then there are the vast grassfields, almost yellow-white in color, as if they adore the sun so much they emulate it's appearance in tribute. Then there is the lush wine fields and the billabongs and the river runs, which are a cloudy emerald oasis.

Its been five days and I have yet to see or hear anyone raise their voice or act like an asshole. I have not heard one person honk their horn despite the traffic in Sydney and Adelaide. I have not heard a single siren. I have only seen smiles and constant politeness.

Griepel wins Stage 1 of the TDU
However, on a personal level, I am off of my game a bit. I have no rhythm. I do not like this feeling, not a bit. I know well, from experience, not to lose my shit over it, but I'm dangerously close. Content, yes, happy, yes, excited, yes, but whole? Whole I feel only on the bike. On the bike I am Gibbs of the most excellent version.

I can't talk to my friends given the 14 hours difference, and the places in between the big cities are very sleepy. I am hoping that now I am in Adelaide, where I do know some people, and it being a larger city, things will turn for me. I know to wait for it, and not to let it worry me too much.

I think the main problem is that I have yet to realize where I am. I am missing the magnitude of it. I don't know why that is but it will come to me.

After the four hour drive to Adelaide, I did manage to make it to the finish of the first stage of the Tour Down Under. Tomorrow I will meet a friend (and all of her friends ) and do a pre-stage ride of around 100K.

7AM start time. I will never understand or accept why anyone would want to ride at 7AM, but when in Rome....

Now, the video that took 7 hours of wifi time to upload. You better watch the whole thing, bitches.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...