leave it better than you found it



Lake Austin
Date: 11.27.11
Travel Day: Austin to Del Rio, Texas

I know nothing about Del Rio besides the fact that it's a border town. And so I can't tell you why I picked it as my next destination but when you have decision fatigue like I do, sometimes its best to just close your eyes and stick a finger on the map. 

Like the other night, in the dark, when I crossed South Congress at a traffic light that had that beeping tone for deaf people. I figured I'd give myself a little test. So I closed my eyes and I listened to traffic and when the beep went on I started across the street, still with my eyes closed. I kept them that way the whole way across. I don't know, stupid shit like this just occurs to me sometimes.
My finger landed in Mexico, which ain't gonna happen, but Del Rio was close, and Del Rio it is. 

I admit that I am sad today, leaving Austin. It's the first city that I can say that about. Enough said. 

Sophie.  That's a stick stare.
But I am excited to be on the road again because I felt my brain getting a little soft, a little bit laid back, and a little too stagnant for purposes of the Exodus. I was getting nice and comfy. 

So I sit outside in the sun and listen to the wind chimes sing and have one last stick toss with Sophie, and I'm certain that this little tryst that Austin and I had will one day be a full blown love story. 

And I found someone deserving of that $20 bill I came across the other day in the park. Last night, around midnight, I was walking home and there was a young Mexican woman standing alone at the bus stop, and she was underdressed for what was a pretty cold night last night. 

Just hanging out. 
I asked her if the busses still ran this late. In broken English she said she didn't know. And I pushed the $20 bill towards her and she shook her hands and her head and I said, no, I know you didn't ask, I know thats not your intention standing here, and thats why. 

I explained to her, I found it, it's not mine, it's not anyones. You can use it for now, it's cold, and you should get a cab and get home. And so we waited there together, and we didn't say anything else, and then the cab came and as she was getting in and she looked at me and smiled and she looked like she wanted to say something but didn't. 

And just another little chunk of heaviness lifted from me. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...