Exodus Part Two: the beginning.

Tomorrow at high noon I'll be skipping town again. I may have said before I am not as light in spirit as I was last time around, but I think that's just because I have a better idea of what to expect. I will admit to a more melancholy feeling this time, because this summer I got a lot closer to my family. In particular, my relationship with my brother and his kids; huge leaps. 
Last time I wasn't thinking much about what I would miss, I was just thinking of what I had been missing. This time there is a bit more guilt. But that quickly diminishes when I remember the rush of the unknown.

I love packing. I've always (geek) wanted to be an international spy, so when I pack up my gear and my gadgets and my passport et al., I kinda feel like I'm at the bank, opening my safe deposit box, grabbing all the cash, the gun, the multiple identities, about to have a real Bourne adventure. So the last week, just lining up all my crap has been fun.

Stay light, stay nimble.

Since I'm staying in the states for the short term, I can take a little more than I think I will need. It boiled down to this:


That's about 60% biking shit, which includes 6 pairs of gloves, all different thickness, and all due to my very annoying Raynauds disease, and because I learned my lesson last year in France, which is NEVER bring just one of any critical item. Especially small, easily misplaced, critical items that only work in pairs.

You may also notice flushable baby-wipes. If you take nothing else from this blog, please, please, please trust me on the value of baby-wipes. You will thank me. And not just for the obvious reasons, but I'm talking cleaning the bike, cleaning bird-shit from the car, cleaning your hands, cleaning shoes, you name the shit, they clean that shit.

I'm pretty sure I picked the exact correct moment to depart, since last night I went into town to visit with an old friend, and West Chester was such a fuck-show circus (massive street fights, girl puking in doorway of a really nice dress shop, and dudes in shorts and flops on a 50 degree night), that I could almost feel my hometown giving me the green light.

I said my goodbyes to everyone, and that is never fun, but I spoke my feelings and I made them known. The people who I love; I am pretty sure they know it crystal clear.

House is clean. Cable turns off tomorrow, almost everything is unplugged, freezer defrosted, now if I can just remember to make my bed in the morning.

I am excited to get back to spreading positivity through example. I'm looking forward to changing the world, if I can, with one interaction at a time. I'm looking forward to the me that will emerge from the other side.

I am just utterly in love with adventure, because it always loves me back.

Here is the short term itinerary. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...