Give it to Napoleon, he'll eat anything.


Location: Biarritz, France
Ride Day: video here

So, I hot-stepped it out of Spain international-assassin style, all stealth-like and quiet. Mostly because I was tired of Spain and also because it suddenly dawned on me that Paris-Nice was starting tomorrow and I could maybe catch a couple stages if I cared to. And I do.

So after a couple of nights laying low in Bilboa, and a couple of nights at the same restaurant where the waiter told me that I had ordered to much food both times, I fired up the Picasso and set sail for France. For one, I can actually converse in Frech, and for two, ah, I just like the French. They have a curious humor and way of life that fits my constitution.

So I breezed by border control (non-existent) and into Biarritz, which I knew nothing about, except that it was supposed to be 70 degrees on this particular day. It didn't quite get there, but it was adequate and this little town is so beautiful that I took in the beach and a home-made dinner of olives, sausages, cheese, and of course, an entire baguette, and planned my ride.

The French really are always eating baguettes. They really are.

I won't say much more except that I am really much much happier than I was in Spain. If I had the four months I needed to get through every stage of Rosetta Stone (Spanish) I would do it. But I don't. So I will take France, which is as close to home as I will be finding anytime soon, outside of the UK.

The video. I had a lot to say today. I tried to boil it down as much as possible, but there were just parts I could not bear to abandon. Mostly, it's a video I made for my future self.

Look for me on Wednesday and Thursday at Paris-Nice (that's a major bike race for you non-bike fans). Not sure what I am going to do just yet but I'll come up with something inventive. It will be televised on NBC, and maybe I will be too.

Today:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...