Bubblewrap, tape and a chain. No questions.


Location: Montpellier, France
Ride day: kind-of (see video at bottom)

Currently watching "Tower Heist" that should be in English, but oddly enough, is in German. Even my French concierge doesn't have an answer for that. But all is good because he gave me free access to all the other movies that aren't in English either. As a compromise.

Which is actually OK at the moment, because "Castaway" is on. And that has only a few words including "Wilson", "Ice", and the last twenty minutes that no one cared about anyway.

I must tell you there is a little too much "c'est la vie" going around lately. And I have been having a rough go of it. I want to ride my bike. I want things to be a little easier. Maybe, just maybe, I might be a little cooked.

It's been rainy. I lost a glove. I need bubblewrap and I need electrical tape. No, I didn't kill anyone, but also this is not the time that you want to pushing me either, because you never know.


I find the wind-down to the return to the US is kicking in much earlier than expected. I guess it's a relative thing. If you go on a trip for 7 days you probably don't think about the return until about the day before. Two week trip, maybe 3 days before.

But six months, and a car in LA with two flat tires and a heap of stuff I've picked up in my fishing trap  along the way that I now need to ship home, well that lead-out time gets to where it is, which is about 10 days in advance of my return.

Again, I have certain things that need to be addressed, and I think I got those bases covered, finally, after three days and a lot of cash. Cash has flown out the window because I needed a new chain, a new cassette, new pedals, new shoes, all as a result of either being worn out or just plain broken.

So these issues have kept me off of the bike, and I'm really only here for that reason: to ride. I didn't come here exclusively to see museums and get drunk on wine at lunch and have an afternoon romp followed by a nap, as is generally the case when one comes to the south of France.

I came here to ride. And since I can't, I feel a bit lost. For sure, I get myself up and out and exploring, but I've also been spending a great deal of effort on chores. Fun chores, but chores nonetheless.

So, since I haven't posted or ridden in a while, I thought I would give you an idea of why that is: in the very long video to follow.

I'm sure looking back about 3 months of now I will wonder why I thought all this fun I was having was so irritating. But in the center of the storm, it's a bit hard to take an objective standpoint. Well, I guess that statement in itself was objective, so maybe I'm wrong.

Even if it rains tomorrow, and the estimate is for a 100% chance of that, I'm going. Sacre-bleu!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...