I Bike WIth A Loose Horse



I came upon a horse today. He was a very curious horse, not just because he was walking along a very deserted twisty road with a broken rope still wrapped around his neck and trailing underneath his hooves, but because of the way the brown and the white on him streaked his body less like a horse and more like a zebra. And his face, which was all white, and his eyes, which were a very very light blue, gave him the appearance of an albino, if that is a trait a horse can have. I couldn’t say. 

But I have never seen a horse with such blue eyes. Both of them; steely, icy blue. 

When I came around the corner he was just walking at a disinterested gait, but when I slowed, so as not to surprise him, my brakes squealed a bit and he took off, on the pavement and in the wrong lane. I went after him. 

We went across a one lane bridge together at about 20mph an hour and when I saw that he was going to round a corner to the right, in the right lane, heading into opposing traffic, I sped past him. I locked up the brakes and and ditched the bike quickly, around the corner, and I ran into his lane and spread my arms out and made a ssshhing sound and, thankfully, he slowed, then stopped, and did a couple of three sixties. 

There were two cars coming towards us, and I made a motion with my hand up and down towards the ground, indicating they should slow down. I turned to him and shushed him again, to calm him. He stood still and the cars went around us. 

So now, its just me and the horse, and he doesn’t seem too pleased that I am impeding him. He sticks his neck out towards me and his lips purse and his mouth opens and he is about to say something but for the first couple of seconds he looks as though he is whinnying but no sound comes and it occurs to me that perhaps this horse is possibly a mute. Again, I don't know if that is a trait a horse can have. 

But then it comes, a long, sorrowful and very loud whinny which echoes back at us from the hillsides. I'm feeling his angst very clearly, so I approach him slowly, talking to him and I think that maybe my helmet and sunglasses should come off, so I take them off and lie them by the road. I also think how funny it is that a cyclist in full kit is trying to wrangle a wild kiwi horse. I must appear to him as an alien, in both sound and sight. 

The Inn where I am staying in Mangonui. 
I don’t know much about horses but I know a little, I’ve been riding about 20 times in my life, and I have a helmet at my house from the time I was dating a girl who broke horses, and that’s about it. I do know that they have extraordinarily good feel for humans, and that, historically, I have found myself to be pretty handy with them. They listen to me, although I am also familiar with their unpredictability. 

He allowed me to touch his head and I continued to talk to him and I took his leash and led him off of the road, to a post, where I tied him up and told him I would be back, when I found some help.

I went to the first house I found, and a woman came out. I described the horse to her. She said “no idea who it belongs too,” and was generally non-plussed. Right. Try the next house. 

There were two dogs who came quickly to greet me and I sprayed them with water. They backed off. Since there were two cars in the driveway, I yelled “Hello, is anyone home? I have an emergency!” Nothing. I did it again, and nothing, again.

So I got back on the road and about 2 miles down a farming truck passed me, coming the other way. I flagged him down and asked him if he was from around here. He was. Only about 50 people or so are from around here, based on the houses.

I told him about the horse, that it was loose, that I had tied it up. That it was probably going to get hurt or hurt someone if it got loose again. Here is what he said “Aww yeah, that’s quite common around here.” To which I felt like saying “Well, thank you for confirming the probability of coming upon a loose horse in this area. Have a great day!” He seemed pretty put-out, to be honest, to be stopped and told my fascinating story.  (Not uncommon, in fact.)

So what I was getting back was, outside of myself, no one really could give a shit. But goddammit it’s an animal, and we kind of bonded, and I was not going to let people not give a shit.

I thought about adopting it myself, how to get it to the states, where would I put it, how old was it anyway? Yeah, those thoughts went through my head.

Since I was doing an out-and–back ride, I knew I would come back upon him, but I was hoping he would have been claimed. An hour later, when I came back, he was still there. Still tied up, but grazing now and seemingly quite content.

The only thing different from an hour before was that there was an apple, and also a lighter, at his feet. So someone had thought to throw an apple his way, and some fire in case he wanted to light up an apple bong, I guess. I’m just making a report here, I don’t want to even begin to think about the genesis of those two unlikely items finding their way to my horse.

I petted him again and I asked him where he was from and he just kept grazing and eyeballing me and wagging his tail. I didn’t know what else to do for him, and I realized that this was the end of our story. I would ride home and he would stay tied up and I guess someone would find him and make some calls and that would be that.

Sunset just across the road from the Inn. 
I didn’t know this was going to happen to me today. I didn’t know anything at all about today. I knew I had a hotel to go to, but I didn’t know about Laura, from Argentina, who I picked up outside of Paihia and that she would be going to a hotel on the very same street as I was staying, 60km’s north in Whanganoa.

I didn’t know that after waiting three hours outside of the lodge I booked in that town for someone to show up that there was an email waiting for me that said they had had an emergency and were canceling my reservation. I got that email after becoming a little frustrated, driving back into town, buying some internet time, and collecting my emails.

I did not know, that as a result of that cancellation, that I would have to spend another hour driving north, to Mangonui, to stay at the only other place available tonight within a reasonable distance.  I did not know, as a result, the only road near that hotel that I could safely see myself riding was the road to Taupo Bay.

And I did not know that on that road would be a blue eyed horse, who was the best part of my day.

I wonder what I don’t know about tomorrow?
_________________
"Yet, in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more.
The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go."
-Richard Bach, "Illusions"


And the ride on the following day: (best viewed in HD)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...