Not Frightened Enough

Location: Auckland, NZ  Ride: 47miles, 5381vft

Shit, time is moving quickly. And also somehow slowly at the same time. I find it shocking to realize my last update was four days ago and yet my 9 hour travel saga that happened yesterday seems like weeks ago. I found New Zealand, by the way, and I rode my bike as well, so those two things I can check off, and you can stop worrying about me. 

Yesterday was interesting as it was strung together poetically by two very interesting, and chance conversations. The first one was with the Katrina, the Jersey girl who worked at the liquor store in Coogee Beach, Australia. I was at the liquor store, if you are wondering, asking for directions to the nearest church.

Katrina just finished up her studying here, and like every freaked out 21/22 year old fresh from the university farm, had big, big plans. And big, big concerns. She was, essentially, bezerk. She was fully in the "accomplish" mode of life, and since I am fully in the "significance" mode of life, the conversation was dense. I don't know what else to say about that, except when someone you met just twenty minutes ago shakes your hand at the end of a conversation and says "that was a good talk" and they seem sort of glazed over, that's the kind of stuff I wait for, and love when it shows up.

The second great one happened on the plane, which shocks even me, because in general, I don't like to talk on planes. I despise small talk and there is no exit strategy on a plane, so I just avoid it from the get go. But this one, with Andrew, was intense. We talked about, basically, the power of positivity. I hate those semantics, but it's what it was. It was deeply psychological and philosophical and the only thing I regret about it is not spending more time looking out the window at the New Zealand landscape as we came into land.

My ride, eh, it was pretty great, actually. The drivers here suck balls but I am in this country's largest city, so I expect that. Don't let anyone tell you that New Zealand is some deserted island, this is a fucking city, and there is traffic, and car horns, and police sirens, and well, it's not a Shire, for sure.

This is only my second day, so stick with me. I'll be covering a lot of ground in the next six weeks and my opinions are sure to change.

I wish I could write more, but it's late, and I have not watched a movie in three months and "Skyfall" just finished downloading. So now you know my priorities.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...