Florida is all rida by me.

Location: St. Augustine, FL
I didn't ride today, although I had planned to. It wasn't because it was a little dreary or that I woke up a little later than normal, it just didn't strike me. So I decided to get some chores done, specifically re-stock at a CVS nearby. I found out why I didn't ride my bike once at the counter. 
At the cashier next to me was a young women, late teens I would call her, and she had a shopping cart full of juice, eggs, bread, diapers, your basic shit. She was handing the cashier some sort of checks, like three or four of them, and I couldn't hear the name of them but I guess they were some sort of welfare tickets or something.

The cashier, confused and not familiar with these types of checks, had to call up the manager. The girl explained she had called ahead and spoken to someone who told her that they would accept them. Who did you speak to, asks the manager. Which is a question I hate, because I never know who I am talking to when I have a question about something, unless they tell me.

Better than they found it. 
I don't know, says the girl, but this is the CVS I called, I know it. I wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to shop for all this crap and then spring these checks on you. She was visibly upset, desperate almost. Others in line behind her were dropping their heads or looking away.

The manager nixed her, didnt really apologize for anything, and now the girls lip was just beginning to tremble. So I walked up, and just as she had given up and the tears were coming, I handed her two $20 bills. This should cover it, I told her.

She took it immediately, not grabbing at it or anything, not forceful, but in a manner someone might take a ticket stub. She mumbled a thank you and was so embarrassed she could not manage even a cursory look in my eyes.

I walked out. And at the corner, waiting for the light, she suddenly appeared with her bags, and still not altogether yet, said thank you. Thank you so much. And I told her I hoped her day got better. And then the light turned green.

So that is why I didn't ride, I am sure of it. You may just call it coincidence and I believe it is possible that it was all that was, but I don't know man, I don't know.

And I'm not telling you so that you can pat me on the back, I'm telling you because maybe next time you see someone in need, you will remember that when you do something nice for someone else without asking, then everyone wins. And I'm telling you because it was the best part of today, followed closely by the two hour kayak trip I took on a whim.

The view from my porch. Not shabby. 
So, St. Augustine, lets talk about this little town I found myself in. I'd call it a don't-miss, should you find yourself nearby. I can't say much for the bike riding, so I will breeze over that just by saying that the riders I have met were all great, but the riding was not-so-much.

The first day I was driving through town, and I passed a couple of guys on bikes. They saw mine and rode up next to me and invited me to a group ride the following day. I hadn't even reached my rented cottage and already I had a date. Sweet.

The next day at the appointed spot and time I rode up and there is a guy there in a West Chester Cycling Club jersey. Thats my hometown club, if you didnt know. And it turns out I know this guy, he lives only a few blocks from me in West Chester, and for a cherry, I have ridden with him a couple of times.

Ok, so some shit is going down here, Gibbs. This is what I say to myself. Start paying attention.

It pours on us for the first half, but then the sun comes out and I get a chance to talk to pretty much every guy on the ride at some point. All very nice guys. I get restaurant recommendations, where to find the cougars (should I desire, which I dont) and even an offer to stay in a in-law suite if I decide to stay a bit longer than planned.

That night I go out to the old part of town. It's a crazy house. Heres a couple of reasons: (1) it's the festival of lights (2) it was the day of basically an entire day of Christmas parades with everything you can imagine and (3) this place is a tourist attraction for a reason. Every town should have a festival of lights, that's my opinion.

If you dont know, and I didn't, this is the oldest continuously occupied town in North America. In just a few years you may hear more about it since it will be their 450th anniversary. The King and Queen of Spain are expected, and if they get lucky, the Pope. Yeah, the Pope, bitches.

The best part of the Christmas Parade. 
This town was Spanish until sometime in the early 19th century, when Florida was ceded to the US. That means it's been Spain for a hell of a lot longer than its been America. And those Spanish flavors are everywhere to found, from the thin cobbled streets and tiny back alleys to the proliferation of tapas bars to the horse drawn carriages. Some would argue it's a tourist trap, but not in a Disney way or anything.

Quaint is the best way to put St. Augustine.

Jesus, I sound like National Geographic. Its just fucking awesome and you should come here. There, thats me talking again.

I just had a great time here. By the third day, during my ride, I was waving to people I knew by name, some riders, a guy I hung out with the night before, the girl who served me lunch, I kind of felt like I lived here.

Lonely? No, I met at least 20 people in three days. I ate my dinner last night at the bar and finished up with a long conversation with a couple who just moved here three weeks ago. She's a photographer, he's kite surfer. After that, I sat around a fire while one girl got drunk on champagne, her dude friend discussed the most awesome way to die, and the other guy, who had just biked here from Philadelphia lit a joint and we all burned the midnight oil together.

Not every time I leave a place do I get nostalgic, but I am on this one. Off to Gainesville tomorrow.

Special thanks to: Dave and Ember, Victor and Tilly, Ashley (pedicab), Bill & all the guys on the ride, Dave (the guy who rode with me from PV back to the bridge), and Kristen from Cellar 6. 

And now, in thanks for making it this far, I offer a hot chick.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...